sábado, 26 de mayo de 2007

Worst qualifying of season for Ferrari

Ferrari endured a difficult qualifying session as its 100% qualifying record this season was broken as neither driver managed to claim pole position, nor even get onto the first row. Felipe Massa was pleased with himself for getting close to the McLaren drivers' times and securing third spot just behind the duo whereas Kimi Raikkonen was disappointed to have made a costly mistake around the swimming pool complex which ended his session. The Finn will consequently start from 15th in the grid for the Monaco Grand Prix where grid starting position is of paramount importance.

Felipe Massa commented: "I am happy as I did a good lap, without traffic and I am in a good position for tomorrow's race. I am confident and will try for a good result. The race here is very long and it is vital to maintain concentration. If it were to rain, it would make it even more of a lottery.

"It was very complicated today to choose the right moment to go out on track, both in terms of traffic and the weather, with the rain threatening to arrive at any moment. I had seen the yellow flags for Kimi and it was a bit of a tricky moment at Rascasse, when I found him stopped in front of me on the track, but somehow I managed to get by with damaging my car."

Kimi Raikkonen said: "There's little to say after this qualifying session. I was on my first run with soft tyres when, coming out of the Swimming Pool Chicane, I hit the barrier with the left front wheel. At first it seemed that everything was alright, but when I got to Rascasse, the car would not make the turn. I managed to get back to the pits and the mechanics tried to fix the car but we realized it could not be done in time.

"Here, the very slightest error costs you dear and it is a real shame because I think I could have fought for pole position. However, I will start from the seventh row so I am expecting a very tough race, but I will do all I can to get a good result for the team."

Source